Monday, February 7, 2011

Sometimes We Say, "Uncle"

Lately I've been following Old Country Strong's CC, a strength cycle. It's tough but fun! Because of my schedule, I have been following it a little loosely, but I definitely see major value in it. 
In addition to their programming, I am still getting together with my friend to do workouts. She is my trainer/training partner, so we try to incorporate things into our workouts, including OCS' protocol. Yesterday we did one of OCS' workouts, entitled, "Slobberknocker." I have no idea what that means, but I did feel like whatever a slobberknocker might be afterward.
As I was sprawled out on the ground gasping for air after the workout, my friend leaned over me, her head surrounded by the sharp, ugly halo of fluorescent light, she asked me to pick two movements. Dazed by the workout and the vision of her standing over me, I mumbled, "Kettlebells and sit-ups." She nodded, and next thing you know, we were doing a Tabata. A Tabata. Sit-ups, dead lifts, Russian pumps, and kettlebell swings. Really?? 
Why didn't I tell her to screw off????? I don't know. Maybe I felt it would be a great challenge. Maybe I was too confused to say, no. Maybe she locked the doors and I had no choice.
But I did it. It was sloppy and ugly, but I did it, and my numbers were the same as if I had not done a workout already. I was pretty proud of myself.
This morning I went in for the workout, thinking tomorrow I will sleep in and not work out tomorrow. I worked out this morning. Nothing horrendous, and I didn't go balls out, but it was enough to say it was a workout. I guess I was wrong.
Brigitte looked at me and said, "So, you coming in tomorrow?" 
I immediately nodded and replied, "Sure!"
What???? What is wrong with me? I am always trying to tell people to rest, not go to failure. Wouldn't this much working out mean going to failure?
I am considering going to judo tonight because I haven't been in months. Then an OCS workout in the early morning?
When do I say, "Uncle"?
I will let you know after tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment